BIS Representative Office for the Americas
Updated 9 January 2018
About the BIS Americas Office
The BIS established its Representative Office for the Americas in Mexico City in November 2002, to further develop BIS activities in the Americas in close coordination with the head office in Basel. The Americas Office's primary activities include the following:
- Strengthening the relationship of the BIS with central banks and other relevant institutions in the region, and promoting cooperation among them.
- Developing research on issues related to regional financial markets, monetary policy or financial stability.
- Facilitating the organisation of meetings and networks for central banks to analyse key topics in the region.
These activities are implemented by the Economics for Latin America and the Caribbean (ELAC) group, based in Mexico City and Basel.
Consultative Council for the Americas
The Consultative Council for the Americas (CCA) was established in May 2008 as an advisory committee to the BIS Board of Directors. It comprises the Governors of BIS member central banks in the Americas: Argentina, Brazil, Canada, Chile, Colombia, Mexico, Peru and the United States.
Under the auspices of the CCA, the BIS Representative Office for the Americas provides secretariat support for three groups that engage in collaborative activities:
- the Scientific Committee organises research conferences and networks in the area of macroeconomics and monetary policy
- the Consultative Group of Directors of Financial Stability (CGDFS) promotes collaboration on issues and research related to financial stability
- the Consultative Group of Directors of Operations (CGDO) fosters the exchange of views and analysis on financial market developments and central bank operations
Each group is steered by senior officials of the CCA central banks, supported by BIS staff.
The current CCA Chair is Julio Velarde, Governor of the Central Reserve Bank of Peru.
Publications and research
The Americas Office research page provides detailed information about the cooperative research managed by the Americas Office on behalf of the CCA and by the ELAC group economists.
In addition, the CGDFS and the CGDO have established the research Working Group on Financial Stability and the Study Group on Markets and Central Bank Operations, respectively, to analyse topics of common interest for the CCA central banks.
Selected BIS publications are also available in Spanish. This includes regular publications such as the BIS Annual Report and Quarterly Review, as well as press releases, speeches and other publications. To retrieve Spanish translations, select "Spanish content" while performing an advanced search on the BIS website, or subscribe to our e-mail alert for content translated into Spanish.
The Americas Office hosts a secondment programme for central bank economists from the region to foster closer working relationships with shareholding central banks. The programme is part of the general secondment programme of the BIS, in which candidates from member central banks can apply to work at the head office in Basel, as well as at the BIS's representative offices in Hong Kong SAR and Mexico. Eligible candidates should be experts working in an area of interest to the BIS. More information ...