Quantitative Impact Studies: QIS 2 and QIS 2.5 history
During 2001, the Basel Committee on Banking Supervision conducted two major data collection exercises. The second quantitative impact study (QIS 2) gathered the data necessary to allow the Committee to gauge the impact of the second consultation document across a wide range of banks in the G10 and beyond, given the differing risk profiles of banks and the extent to which credit risk mitigation is used.
- QIS introduction (April 2001)
- Frequently asked questions (May 2001)
- Long-term rating scales comparison (April 2001)
- Questionnaire (April 2001) (PDF, 37 pages, 158 kb)
The second tranche of QIS 2 focused on operational risk, in particular information concerning individual operational risk loss events, the banks' quarterly aggregate operational risk loss experience, and a wider range of potential exposure indicators tied to specific business lines.
- QIS 2: Operational risk data (May 2001)
As a result of industry feedback obtained through the consultative process and the valuable information received through QIS 2, the Basel Committee considered several potential modifications to the proposed revised Framework.
- Summary of QIS 2 results (November 2001)
- Results of the Second Quantitative Impact Study (PDF, 9 pages, 49 kb)
- Potential Modifications to the Committee's Proposals (PDF, 6 pages, 30 kb)
- The Quantitative Impact Study for operational risk: overview of individual loss data and lessons learned (January 2002) (PDF, 26 pages, 145 kb)
Before finally deciding on which modifications should be made, the Committee needed statistical information on the effect that such revisions would have on different banks. In order to gather this information, the Committee had asked a number of banks to participate in an update to QIS 2. This exercise - QIS 2.5 - calculated the Foundation IRB capital requirements as set out in the Committee's January 2001 second consultative paper but after making various modifications which the Committee was considering.
- QIS 2.5 Exercise (November 2001)
- QIS 2.5 detailed instructions for participating banks (PDF, 11 pages, 57 kb)
- QIS 2.5 Excel workbook for completing the exercise (Excel, 262 kb)
- Results of Quantitative Impact Study 2.5 (July 2002)
In a repeat of the May 2001 survey of banks' operational risk data, the Committee was seeking to collect detailed data from the banking sector on operational risk for the most recent financial year (2001). The data collection exercise included information on banks' operational risk losses and various "exposure indicators", and enabled the Committee to further refine the calibration of the operational risk charge proposed for the revised Framework.
- Operational risk data collection exercise (June 2002)