Elmar joined the BIS in January 2017. Over the previous eight years, he was an economist in the Monetary Affairs Division of the Federal Reserve Board, where he worked, among others, on monetary policy strategies and communication. Elmar holds a PhD from the University of Lausanne as well as an undergraduate degree from the University of St Gallen. During his graduate studies, Elmar worked as teaching assistant at the Swiss National Bank's Study Centre in Gerzensee.
Fields of interest
- Monetary Policy
|Date||BIS research papers|
BIS Working Papers No 667
- " Managing beliefs about monetary policy under discretion", Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, vol 48, no 4, 2016, pp 661-98.
- " Measuring the level and uncertainty of trend inflation", The Review of Economics and Statistics, vol 98, no 5, December 2016, pp 950-67.
- " Trend inflation in advanced economies" (with C Garnier and E Nelson), International Journal of Central Banking, vol 11, no 4, September 2015, pp 65-136.
- " Stock prices, news, and economic fluctuations: comment" (with A Kurmann), American Economic Review, vol 104, no 4, April 2014, pp 1439-45.
- " Are spectral estimators useful for long-run restrictions in SVARs?", Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, vol 36, no 12, December 2012, pp 1831-44.
- " Structural shocks and the comovements between output and interest rates", Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, vol 34, no 6, June 2010, pp 1171-86.
- " Predictability in financial markets: what do survey expectations tell us?" (with P Bacchetta and E van Wincoop), Journal of International Money and Finance, vol 28, no 3, April 2009, pp 406-26.