Secondment programme of the BIS Representative Office for the Americas
This initiative fosters closer working relationships with shareholding central banks. The programme is part of the general secondment programme for staff of BIS member central banks to work at the head office in Basel.
Secondees are expected to:
- contribute to the implementation of central bank activities in the Americas region
- carry out research and analysis of interest to the central banks and the BIS, in particular on Latin American economies
- establish and develop contacts with senior officials at central banks and other financial institutions in the region
- represent the BIS at meetings and conferences
The usual duration of the programme is two years. An additional extension or, exceptionally, shorter periods could be contemplated. Secondees continue to be affiliated with their home institutions during their secondment.
The secondment programme for the Americas Office in Mexico City started in 2012. The current visiting economists are:
- Rocío Gondo, Central Bank of Peru, from November 2015
- Marcos Valli, Central Bank of Brazil, from July 2016
Past visiting economists were:
- Abraham Vela, Bank of Mexico, from September 2013 to August 2014
- Angelo Duarte, Central Bank of Brazil, from April 2013 to July 2016
- Andrés Murcia, Central Bank of Colombia, from November 2014 to July 2016
- Jose María Serena, Bank of Spain, from October 2015 to March 2016