Committees & associations - Overview
Promoting monetary and financial stability is one key objective of the BIS. Bimonthly meetings of the Governors and other senior officials of the BIS member central banks to discuss monetary and financial matters are instrumental in pursuing this goal. The standing committees located at the BIS support central banks, and authorities in charge of financial stability more generally, by providing background analysis and policy recommendations.
The committees are:
- the Basel Committee on Banking Supervision
- the Committee on the Global Financial System
- the Committee on Payments and Market Infrastructures
- the Markets Committee
- the Central Bank Governance Forum
- the Irving Fisher Committee on Central Bank Statistics
The BIS secretariats prepare the meetings of the committees, draw up background papers and reports and publish the work of the groups they serve.
In addition, several independent organisations involved in international cooperation in the area of financial stability have their secretariats at the BIS: