Irving Fisher Committee on Central Bank Statistics events
IFC Satellite seminar at the ISI Asian Regional Statistics Conference in Kuala Lumpur on 15 November 2014. Seminar title: "Is the household sector in Asia overleveraged: what do the data say?" (For further information: ISI-RSC 2014 > IFC Satellite Seminar)
IFC-sponsored sessions at the ISI Regional Statistics Conference 2014 (ISI-RSC 2014) in Kuala Lumpur between 16-19 November 2014. Conference theme: "Statistical Science for a Better Tomorrow".
- Regional Workshops on Developing and Improving Sectoral Financial Accounts:
- Bank of Algeria in Algiers
- The 7th IFC Conference on "Indicators to support monetary and financial stability analysis: data sources and statistical methodologies" at the BIS in Basel on 4 and 5 September 2014: Conference agenda. Individual papers to follow soon. The proceedings of the conference will be published in the next IFC Bulletin number (e-publication only).
- Opening remarks by Hervé Hannoun.
- On this occasion Zlatina Balabanova (European Central Bank) and Ruben Peter van der Helm (Netherlands Bank) received the IFC award for the best paper presented by a young statistician for their study on "Enhancing Euro Area Capital Stock Estimates". (photo)
- Regional Workshops on Developing and Improving Sectoral Financial Accounts:
- IFC Seminar on "Measuring structural change in the financial system after the crisis" at the People's Bank of China, Shenzhen, People's Republic of China, on 23 August 2013.
- IFC's contribution to 59th World Statistics Congress of the International Statistical Institute (ISI), in Hong Kong on 25-30 August 2013. The IFC sponsored 6 Special Topic Sessions at the Congress: STS057 "Methodological and compilation review on bank interest rates statistics"; STS079 "Measuring real effective exchange rates"; STS080 "The use of microeconomic data in compiling macroeconomic statistics"; STS081 "Measuring domestic and international inflation"; STS082 "Reviewing measures of external debt" and STS083 "Improving measures of capital flows including speculative flows".
- IFC Workshop on "Integrated management of micro-databases adding business intelligence to central banks' statistical systems" at the Bank of Portugal, Porto, on 20-21 June 2013. The proceedings of the workshop were published in the IFC Bulletin No 37 (e-publication only).
- IFC Workshop on Balance of Payments Statistics at the Banque de France, Paris on 28 February - 1 March 2013: Programme, summary of the workshop: Paris Statement. The proceedings of the workshop were published in the IFC Working Paper No 12.
- The IFC Workshop on Financial Inclusion Indicators at the Bank Negara Malaysia in Kuala Lumpur on 5 and 6 November 2012: Programme, high-level summary of the workshop (Sasana Statement).
The 6th IFC Conference on "Statistical Issues and Activities in a Changing Environment" at the BIS in Basel on 28 and 29 August 2012.
Conference agenda. The proceedings of the conference were published in the IFC Bulletin No 36 (e-publication only).
The IFC's contribution to the 58th World Statistics Congress of the International Statistical Institute (ISI) in Dublin in 21-26 August 2011.
The IFC sponsored 4 Invited Paper Sessions and 4 Special Topic Sessions at the Congress. The Central Bank of Ireland also hosted a seminar for IFC members prior to the official start of the Congress on 19 August 2011. The topic of the seminar was "Bridging Data Gaps ... the Way Forward".
- Workshop on "Residency/local and nationality/global views of financial positions" in Basel, 18-19 January 2011, organised in cooperation with the Inter-Agency Group on Economic and Financial Statistics. Participation was by invitation only. A summary of the discussion paper and other background documents were published in the IFC Working Paper Number 8.
- Workshop on "CPI measures: policy issues and concerns" with the Centro de Estudios Monetarios Latinoamericanos (CEMLA) and the Central Reserve Bank of Peru, Lima, 29 November - 1 December 2010.
- Workshop on "Data requirements for monitoring derivative transactions", with the People's Bank of China (PBC) in Zhengzhou, China, 27-29 September 2010. Participation was by invitation only. The papers presented at this workshop were published in the IFC Bulletin No 35.
The Fifth IFC Conference on "Initiatives to address data gaps revealed by the financial crisis", in Basel, 25-26 August 2010.
Conference agenda and individual papers. The proceedings of the conference were published in the IFC Bulletin No 34.
- A training event for young statisticians was organised by the European Central Bank, the day prior to the conference, on the topic of "European System of Central Banks' Statistics - new challenges, 2010-2015". 30 young statisticians attended this event.
Training event for IFC members on National Accounts methodology, 7-11 June 2010
The National Bank of Belgium (NBB), one of the founding members of the IFC, organised this training event for IFC members. It built on its expertise in compiling the national accounts for Belgium, but also drew on support of other IFC member institutions.
Regional workshop on "The use of business surveys by central banks", Kiev, 12-14 May 2010
The workshop was organised in cooperation with the National Bank of Ukraine, the IMF and the Bank of Canada.
Regional seminar on "Inflation measurement: policy issues and concerns", 28-30 March 2010
The seminar took place in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia with the central banks and national statistical institutes of the Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC).
Conference on "Methodological issues related to residential property price indices"
The conference was organised in cooperation with Eurostat and the IAOS in Basel on 11-12 November 2009. The purpose of the conference was to identify the key issues that need to be addressed from the perspective of both users and compilers of such statistics.
Regional workshop on "CPI measurement: central bank perspectives"
This workshop was organised for Asian central banks associated with the South East Asian Central Banks Research and Training (SEACEN) Centre, in the Philippines from 12-16 October 2009.
Contribution to 57th Session of the ISI, Durban, 16-22 August 2009
The IFC organised 10 meetings at the 57th Session of the ISI, some of which were co-sponsored with other ISI sections. The papers presented during these meetings were published in the 33rd issue of the IFC Bulletin.
Seminar on "Economic and financial convergence en route to regional economic integration", 14 August 2009, Durban, South Africa
The IFC and the South African Reserve Bank (SARB) organised this seminar with central banks from the Southern African Development Community (SADC). Papers presented at the seminar were published in the 32nd issue of the IFC Bulletin.
Fourth IFC Conference on "Measuring financial innovation and its impact", Basel, 26-27 August 2008
Policy makers and analysts are struggling to keep up with financial innovations and to gauge their potential impact on the economy. Central bankers, in particular, face major challenges to measure the potential impact of financial innovation on monetary and financial stability. With respect to the latter, one major concern is the development of proper measures of financial risk, both at the micro level of individual financial instruments or financial institutions as well as at the macro level of the financial system as a whole.The papers presented at this conference were published in the 31st issue of the IFC Bulletin.
Workshop on "The use of surveys by central banks", Vienna, 18-20 March 2008
This workshop was organised in cooperation with the Austrian National Bank and took place at the Joint Vienna Institute. Participation was by invitation only. The results of this workshop, as well as the results of the June and December 2007 workshops on the same topic, were published in the 30th issue of the IFC Bulletin.
Workshop on "Challenges to improve global comparison of securities statistics", Washington D.C., 4-5 March 2008
This workshop took place at the International Monetary Fund in Washington DC. Participation was open to IFC institutional members and selected experts from other central banks, statistical agencies and private sector organisations. The proceedings of this workshop were published in the 29th issue of the IFC Bulletin.
Workshop on "The use of surveys by central banks", Buenos Aires, 11-13 December 2007
The IFC organised this workshop in cooperation with CEMLA (Centre for Latin American Monetary Studies). It was hosted by the Central Bank of the Republic of Argentina. Participation was by invitation only. The results of this workshop, as well as the results of the June 2007 and March 2008 workshops on the same topic, were published in the 30th issue of the IFC Bulletin.
Contribution to 56th Session of the ISI, Lisbon, 22-29 August 2007
The IFC organised 10 meetings at the 56th Session of the ISI, some of which were co-sponsored with other ISI sections. The papers presented during these meetings were published in the 28th issue of the IFC Bulletin.
Workshop on "The use of surveys by central banks", Pune, 27 and 29 June 2007
The IFC organised this workshop in cooperation with SEACEN (the South East Asian Central Banks Research and Training Centre). It was hosted by the Reserve Bank of India. The results of this workshop, as well as the results of the December 2007 and March 2008 workshops on the same topic, were published in the 30th issue of the IFC Bulletin.
Contribution to IAOS Conference, Ottawa, 6-8 September 2006
The IFC contributed to a conference entitled "People on the Move", organised by the International Association of Official Statistics (IAOS). The IAOS had invited the IFC to organise a plenary session on the topic "Financial Aspects of Migration: The Measurement of Remittances". Mr Cadete de Matos, member of the IFC Executive and Director of the Statistics Department at the Bank of Portugal, structured and chaired the session. The papers presented during the session were published in the 27th issue of the IFC Bulletin.
Third IFC Conference on "Measuring the Financial Position of the Household Sector", Basel, 30-31 August 2006
The Third IFC Conference took place the BIS. The theme of the conference was "Measuring the Financial Position of the Household Sector". The importance of this topic in central banking circles was reflected in the overwhelming interest shown in the conference. More than 130 experts from 68 central banks participated in the conference and 42 papers were presented. The themes that were covered included: measurement issues related to household wealth and debt, distributional aspects of household finances and the use of household surveys to gather information on household finances. The results of the conference were published in the 25th and 26th issue of the IFC Bulletin.
Workshop on "CPI Measures: Central Bank views and concerns", Basel, 20-21 April 2006
The IFC hosted a very successful workshop entitled "CPI Measures: Central Bank views and concerns". 37 CPI experts from 26 central banks and the IMF attended the workshop which took place at the BIS. Discussions took place on a number of issues, including international methodological standards for CPI, inflation measures from the perspective of monetary policy and quantifying the measurement bias in CPIs. Issue notes and summaries of the discussions as well as comparative tables were published in the 24th issue of the IFC Bulletin. As a result of the workshop, suggestions for future work were submitted to international groups dealing with international CPI methodology.