Fact sheet - Irving Fisher Committee on Central Bank Statistics
The objective of the IFC is to promote the exchange of views amongst central bank economists, statisticians and policy makers as well as others who want to participate in discussing statistical issues of interest to central banks, including those relating to economic, monetary and financial stability. The IFC in particular strives to strengthen the relationship between compilers of statistics and the community of users and analysts of statistical information, both in and outside central banks (IFC Flyer).
The IFC has four categories of members:
- Full institutional members, comprise central banks or international and regional organisations formally involved in central banking issues;
- Associate institutional members, comprise central banks, central bank related institutions, or international and regional organisations formally involved in central banking issues, which do not wish to become full institutional members;
- Associate individual members, consist of economic or statistical experts from public and private sector organisations and from the academic community, including members from ISI sections and committees. In order to be accepted as an associate individual member, a person should meet a number of selection criteria. Applications for associate individual membership should be addressed to the IFC Secretariat
- Honorary members, are elected in recognition of their outstanding contributions to the work of the IFC.
The IFC is currently chaired by Dato' Muhammad bin Ibrahim, Central Bank of Malaysia. The Committee is composed of the designated representatives of the full institutional members. It elects the Executive which manages the affairs of the IFC in accordance with the Statutes and the decisions and guidelines of the Committee.
Current members of the Executive:
- Chair: Dato' Muhammad bin IBRAHIM, Central Bank of Malaysia
- Vice chair: Mrs Katherine HENNINGS, Central Bank of Brazil
- Vice chair: Mr Aurel SCHUBERT, European Central Bank
- Mr Jacques FOURNIER, Bank of France
- Mr Eugeniusz GATNAR, National Bank of Poland
- Mr Masahiro HIGO, Bank of Japan
- Mr Joon JUNG, Bank of Korea
- Mr Pascual O'DOGHERTY, Bank of Mexico
- Mr Olorunsola Emmanuel OLOWOFESO, Central Bank of Nigeria
- Ms Gülbin SAHINBEYOGLU, Central Bank of the Republic of Turkey
- Mr Charles THOMAS, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System
The BIS provides the Secretariat of the Committee. Bruno Tissot, Head of Statistics and Research Support, is the senior BIS official responsible for IFC matters. The Secretariat is also supported by Christian Dembiermont and Claudia Huber.