Raphael A Auer's current research focuses on the interaction of international trade and macroeconomics, examining in particular how exchange rates pass through into domestic inflation and how the global production network gives rise to globally synchronised inflation dynamics. He also has a research interest in banking and international capital flows, in particular in the context of European monetary integration. Prior to joining the BIS, he was Senior Economist, Deputy Head of International Trade and Capital Flows, Economic Advisor and Member of the Directorate at the Swiss National Bank. During 2009-10, he was a Globalization and Governance Fellow at Princeton University. He holds a PhD in economics from MIT.
Fields of interest
- International economics
- Monetary policy
- International finance
|Date||BIS research papers|
BIS Working Papers No 623
BIS Working Papers No 602
BIS Working Papers No 593
Other authors: Steven Ongena
BIS Working Papers No 447
Other authors: Aaron Mehrotra
BIS Papers No 77
Other authors: Aaron Mehrotra
BIS Papers No 70
Other authors: Philip Sauré
- " Dynamic entry in vertically differentiated markets" (with P Sauré), Journal of Economic Theory, vol 167(C), 2017, pp 177-205.
- " Market structure and exchange rate pass-through" (with R Schoenle), Journal of International Economics, vol 98(C), 2016, pp 60-77.
- " The banking sector and the Swiss financial account during the financial and European debt crises" (with C Tille), Swiss National Bank Working Paper, issue 2016-05, 2016.
- " The effect of low-wage import competition on U.S. inflationary pressure" (with A Fischer), Journal of Monetary Economics, vol 57, no 4, May 2010, pp 491–503.
- " Exchange rate pass‐through, domestic competition, and inflation: evidence from the 2005-08 revaluation of the renminbi" (R Auer), Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, vol 47, no 8, December 2015, pp 1617-50.
- " Exchange rate pass‐through, domestic competition, and inflation: evidence from the 2005-08 revaluation of the renminbi", Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, vol 47, no 8, December 2015, pp 1617-50.
- " What drives TARGET2 balances? Evidence from a panel analysis", Economic Policy, vol 29, no 77, 2014, pp 139-97.
- " Comments on 'Measuring openness to trade' by M E Waugh and B Ravikumar", Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control , vol 72(C), 2016, pp 42-4.
- " A safe haven: international demand for Swiss francs during the euro area debt crisis", Swiss National Bank, Quarterly Bulletin, no 2/2015, June 2015.
- " Human capital and the dynamic effects of trade", Journal of Development Economics, vol 117(C), 2015, pp 107–18.
- " Trade linkages and the globalisation of inflation in Asia and the Pacific" (with A Mehrotra), Journal of International Money and Finance, vol 49(PA), 2014, pp 129-51.
- " Low-wage import competition, inflationary pressure, and industry dynamics in Europe" (with K Degen and A Fischer), European Economic Review, vol 59(C), 2013, pp 141-66.
- " Geography, institutions, and the making of comparative development", Journal of Economic Growth, vol 18, no 2, June 2013, pp 179-215.
- " CHF strength and Swiss export performance - evidence and outlook from a disaggregate analysis" (with P Sauré), Applied Economics Letters, vol 19, no 6, April 2012, pp 521-31.
- " How do Austrian banks fund their Swiss franc exposure?" (with S Kraenzlin and D Liebeg), Oesterreichische Nationalbank, Financial Stability Report, issue 24, 2012, pp 54–61.
- " International liquidity provision during the financial crisis: a view from Switzerland" (with S Kraenzlin), Federal Reserve Bank of St Louis Review, vol 93, no 6, November/December 2011, pp 409–18.
- " Exchange rate pass-through in a competitive model of pricing-to-market" (with T Chaney), Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, vol 41, no s1, 2009, pp 151–75.