Luiz Awazu Pereira da Silva
Luiz Awazu Pereira da Silva became Deputy General Manager on 1 October 2015. Before joining the BIS, Mr Pereira da Silva, a Brazilian national, had been Deputy Governor of the Central Bank of Brazil since 2010. Prior to that, he worked in various positions for the World Bank in Washington DC, Tokyo and southern Africa. He also served as Chief Economist for the Brazilian Ministry of Budget and Planning, and as Brazil's Deputy Finance Minister in charge of international affairs.
Fields of interest
- Monetary policy
- Financial stability and macroprudential issues
- DSGE models
|Date||BIS research papers|
BIS Quarterly Review September 2017
BIS Working Papers No 643
BIS Papers No 86
|03 Oct 2017||
Article by Mr Luiz Awazu Pereira da Silva, Deputy General Manager of the BIS, and Mr Michael Chui, Senior Economist, based on panel remarks at the Seminar on Financial Volatility and Foreign Exchange Intervention: Challenges for Central Banks, jointly organised by the Inter-American Development Bank and the Central Reserve Bank of Peru, Cusco, 25-26 July 2017.
Other authors: Michael Chui
|13 Jul 2017||
Remarks by Mr Luiz Awazu Pereira da Silva, Deputy General Manager of the BIS, at the conference organised by the BIS, OMFIF, the Deutsche Bundesbank and the World Bank Group, Frankfurt, 13 July 2017.
|07 Apr 2017||
QE experiences and some lessons for monetary policy: defending the important role central banks have played
Other authors: Phurichai Rungcharoenkitkul
|06 Apr 2017||
Other authors: Előd Takáts
|21 Feb 2017||
Remarks by Mr Luiz Awazu Pereira da Silva, Deputy General Manager of the BIS, at the Atlantic Dialogues 2016, Marrakesh, December 2016.
|31 Oct 2016||
Intervention by Mr Luiz Awazu Pereira da Silva, Deputy General Manager of the BIS, at the BoE-HKMA-IMF Joint Conference on "Monetary, Financial and Prudential Policy Interaction in the Post-Crisis World", Hong Kong, 24-25 October 2016.
|29 Sep 2016||
Keynote speech by Mr Luiz Awazu Pereira da Silva, Deputy General Manager of the BIS, at the 2nd ECBN Policy Research Conference on "Macroprudential Instruments and Financial Cycles", Ljubljana, 29 September 2016.
|27 Sep 2016||
Issues faced by emerging market economies in the evolving international monetary and financial system: what has the global financial crisis revealed?
Speech by Mr Luiz Awazu Pereira da Silva, Deputy General Manager of the BIS, at the City Lectures, Official Monetary and Financial Institutions Forum, London, 19 September 2016.
|20 May 2016||
Remarks by Mr Luiz Awazu Pereira da Silva, Deputy General Manager of the BIS, at the XVIII Annual Inflation Targeting Seminar of the Central Bank of Brazil, Rio de Janeiro, 20 May 2016.
|20 Apr 2016||
A possible way out from the "New Normal": Rebalancing fiscal-monetary policies by picking "Low-Hanging Fruits" to engineer more confidence
Remarks by Mr Luiz Awazu Pereira da Silva, Deputy General Manager of the BIS, at the Eurofi High Level Seminar 2016, Amsterdam, 20-22 April 2016.
- Inflation targeting and financial stability: a perspective from the developing world (with P-R Agénor), Inter-American Development Bank and Centro de Estudios Monetarios Latinoamericanos, 2013.
- " Sudden floods, macroprudential regulation and stability in an open economy" (with P-R Agénor and K Alper), Journal of International Money and Finance, vol 48, November 2014, pp 68-100.
- " Macroprudential regulation and the monetary transmission mechanism" (with P-R Agénor), Journal of Financial Stability, vol 13, August 2014, pp 44-63.
- "Capital regulation, monetary policy, and financial stability" (with P-R Agénor and K Alper), International Journal of Central Banking, September 2013, pp 193-238.
- " Capital requirements and business cycles with credit market imperfections" (with P-R Agénor and K Alper), Journal of Macroeconomics, vol 34, issue 3, September 2012, pp 687-705.
- " Cyclical effects of bank capital requirements with imperfect credit markets" (with P-R Agénor), Journal of Financial Stability, vol 8, January 2012, pp 43-56.
- "Macroeconomic stability, financial stability, and monetary policy rules" (with P-R Agénor), International Finance, vol 15, no 2, 2012, pp 205-24.