Enrique Alberola-Ila became Chief Representative of the BIS Americas Office in October 2014. He has spent most of his professional career at the Bank of Spain, where in 2001 he became the first Head of the Latin American Economies Unit in the newly created DG International Affairs. In 2009 he was promoted to Deputy Director of the DG. Mr Alberola holds a degree in economics from the University of Valencia (1990) and an MA and a PhD from the European University Institute (1995). After a brief tenure at the University of Salamanca, he joined the Economic and Research Department of the Bank of Spain. His main area of research is international financial macroeconomics, in particular capital flows, exchange rates and economic and financial integration. He has been a visiting researcher at the World Bank, and has taught at the Universidad Carlos III de Madrid and the University of Valencia, among other academic institutions.
Fields of interest
- International economics
- Monetary and fiscal policy
- Latin America
|Date||BIS research papers|
BIS Working Papers No 638
Other authors: Ricardo Sousa
BIS Working Papers No 609
Other authors: Gianluca Benigno
Output gaps and policy stabilisation in Latin America: the effect of commodity and capital flow cycles
BIS Working Papers No 568
BIS Working Papers No 543
BIS Working Papers No 512
BIS Papers No 36
- " Revisiting the commodity curse: a financial perspective" (with G Benigno), Journal of International Economics, vol 108, no 1, May 2017. Also published as BIS Working Papers, no 609.
- " International reserves and gross capital flow dynamics" (with A Erce and J M Serena), Journal of International Money and Finance, vol 60, pp 151-71, February 2016. Also published as BIS Working Papers, no 512.
- " Growth and imbalances in Spain: a reassessment of the output gap" (With A Estrada and D Santabárbara), SERIEs, vol 5, 2014, pp 333-56, August.
- " Boom-bust cycles, imbalances and discipline in Europe" (with L Molina and P del Río), Banco de Espana Working Papers, no 1220, June 2012. Also published in Moneda y crédito no 204.
- " International reserves and gross capital flows. Dynamics during financial stress" (with A Erce and J M Serena), Banco de Espana Working Papers, no 1220, February 2012.
- " Central banks and macroprudential policy: some reflections from the Spanish experience" (with C Trucharte and J L Vega), Banco de España Occasional Papers, no 1105, August 2011. Also published in J Braude, Z Eckstein, S Fischer and K Flug (eds), The Great Recession: lessons for central bankers, MIT Press, 2012, Chapter 4.
- " Output gaps and stabilisation policies in Latin America: The effect of commodity and capital flow cycles" (with R Gondo and M Lombardi), Ensayos sobre Política Económica, 2017. Also published as BIS Working Papers, no 568.
- " Reserves, sovereign wealth funds and the resilience of global imbalances" (with J M Serena), Banco de Espana Working Papers, no 0834, December 2008. Also published in Economic notes, vol 37.