US dollar exchange rates
Updated 17 September 2017
The BIS is now publishing long time-series data on the exchange rates against the US dollar in daily, monthly, quarterly and annual frequency. The published series cover currencies for 190 economies, with monthly data starting at the earliest in 1791.
The BIS nominal exchange rate data set contains long time-series on USD exchange rates for currencies of approximately 190 economies at daily, monthly, quarterly and annual frequencies. These exchange rate series, which draw on central bank data as well as other sources, are used for the calculation of the BIS nominal and real effective exchange rate series and as an input to the BIS International Banking and Financial Statistics.
Daily data are available for approximately 80 economies. While the starting date of most daily series ranges from 1970 to 1995, series starting in the 1950s are available for 14 currencies. For lower frequencies more historical data are available: the monthly, quarterly and annual series are substantially longer than the daily ones for several currencies. These time series are calculated as end-of-period or averages over daily data, but extended backwards with the additional low-frequency historical data. Most monthly, quarterly and annual series start in 1957.
- Daily data (CSV, last updated 12 October 2017)
- Monthly, quarterly and annual data (CSV, last updated 17 September 2017)
- Tables on US dollar exchange rates (from the Statistical Bulletin)
- Documentation on US dollar exchange rates (pdf, last updated 17 September 2017)
Research and analysis
In the September 2017 issue of the BIS Quarterly Review, "Recent enhancements to the BIS statistics" summarised the characteristics of the data set.
View our release calendar for advance notice of publication dates.
Browse and download data
The data series on exchange rates against the US dollar can also be generated using:
- BIS Statistics Explorer - a browsing tool for pre-defined views of the BIS's most current data
- BIS Statistics Warehouse - an search tool for customised queries of BIS's most current data
The statistics can also be downloaded in a single CSV file.
For queries regarding exchange rates against the US dollar, please write to statistics$bis.org (where "$" denotes "@").