About the Basel Committee
Updated 30 December 2016
For a detailed overview of the BCBS mandate, view the full version of the Basel Committee Charter.
The Basel Committee's work
The core of the work undertaken by the Basel Committee focuses on the following activities:
- exchanging information on developments in the banking sector and financial markets to help identify current or emerging risks for the global financial system
- sharing supervisory issues, approaches and techniques to promote common understanding and to improve cross-border cooperation
- establishing and promoting global standards for the regulation and supervision of banks, as well as guidelines and sound practices
- addressing regulatory and supervisory gaps that pose risks to financial stability
- monitoring the implementation of BCBS standards in member countries and beyond to encourage their timely, consistent and effective implementation
- consulting with central banks and bank supervisory authorities which are not members of the BCBS to benefit from their input into the BCBS policy formulation process and to promote the implementation of BCBS standards, guidelines and sound practices beyond BCBS member countries
- coordinating and cooperating with other financial sector standard setters and international bodies, particularly those involved in promoting financial stability
Visit the Basel Committee's work programme page for a detailed description of the Committee's work.
- 22 February 2017 (Paris, France) - William Coen, Secretary General of the Basel Committee on Banking Supervision, speaks at a hearing on Basel III before Members of the Finance Commission, French Senate, Paris. It is scheduled to begin at 10:30 CET.
- 1-2 March 2017 (Basel, Switzerland)
- 14-15 June 2017 (Sweden)
- 13-14 September 2017
- 6-7 December 2017
Basel Committee on Banking Supervision
Bank for International Settlements
Tel: +41 61 280 80 80
Fax: +41 61 280 91 00