Patrick's current research is focused on international financial markets and financial stability issues, with a specific interest in international banking, emerging market financing and hedge funds. Patrick has previously worked in the Financial Institutions and Financial Markets sections in MED, and has been a regular contributor to the BIS Quarterly Review. Prior to joining the BIS in 2002, he completed his PhD in economics at the University of Michigan with a dissertation on the Japanese financial system.
Fields of interest
- Financial institutions and microprudential issues including banking supervision
- Financial stability and macroprudential issues
- International capital flows
|Date||BIS research papers|
BIS Working Papers No 483
BIS Quarterly Review March 2014
Other authors: Robert Neil McCauley
BIS Working Papers No 413
BIS Working Papers No 393
BIS Working Papers No 386
BIS Working Papers No 377
BIS Working Papers No 376
BIS Quarterly Review December 2011
BIS Quarterly Review September 2011
Bank structure, funding risk and the transmission of shocks across countries: concepts and measurement
BIS Quarterly Review September 2010
Other authors: Ingo Fender
- " International prudential policy spillovers: a global perspective" (with S Avdjiev, C Koch and G von Peter), International Journal of Central Banking, vol 13(S1), 2017, pp 5-33. Also published as BIS Working Papers no 589.
- "Patterns in international banking and their implications for prudential policies" (with I Fender), in A Demirgüç-Kunt, D Evanoff and G Kaufman (eds), The future of large internationally active banks, World Scientific Studies in International Economics, vol 55, September 2016, pp 187-212.
- " Bye-bye covered interest parity" (with C Borio, R McCauley, and V Sushko), VoxEU, September 2016.
- " US monetary policy, leverage and offshore dollar credit" (with R McCauley and V Sushko), Economic Policy, vol 30, no 82, April 2015, pp 187-229. Also published [abridged Chinese version] in Chinamoney, November 2015, pp 58-62, and as BIS Working Papers no 483.
- "Rapid credit growth and international credit: challenges in Asia" (with S Avdjiev and R McCauley), in V Pontines and R Siregar (eds), Exchange rate appreciation, capital flows and excess liquidity: adjustment and effectiveness of policy responses, The SEACEN Centre, Chapter VI, August 2012. Also published as BIS Working Papers no 377.
- "After the global financial crisis: From international to multinational banking?" (with R McCauley and G von Peter), Journal of Economics and Business, vol 64, no 1, pp 7-23, 2012. Based on "The architecture of global banking: from international to multinational?", BIS Quarterly Review, March 2010.
- " Global liquidity and credit booms" (with R McCauley and C Borio), in B Winkler, A van Riet and P Bull (eds), A flow-of-funds perspective on the financial crisis, 2014, pp 94-124. Based on "Global credit and domestic credit booms", BIS Quarterly Review, September 2011.
- "Systemic risks in global banking: what available data can tell us and what more data are needed?" (with E Cerutti and S Claessens), in M Brunnermeier and A Krishnamurthy (eds), Risk topography: systemic risk and macro modeling, 2014. Also published as BIS Working Papers no 376.
- "Bank ties and firm performance in Japan: Some evidence since fiscal 2002", Monetary and Economic Studies, vol 27, November 2009. Also published as BIS Working Papers no 272.
- "The US dollar shortage in global banking and the international policy response" (with G von Peter), International Finance, June 2012. Also published as BIS Working Papers no 291 and as "The US dollar shortage in global banking", BIS Quarterly Review, March 2009.
- "Toward a global risk map" (with S Cecchetti and I Fender), Central bank statistics - what did the financial crisis change?, Fifth ECB Conference on Statistics, European Central Bank, 2011. Also published as BIS Working Papers no 309.
- " The 2011 FDIC assessment on banks managed liabilities: interest rate and balance-sheet responses" (with L Kreicher and R McCauley), in R de Mooij and G Nicodeme (eds), Taxation of the financial sector, 2014. Also published as BIS Working Papers no 413.
- "Bank ties and bond market access: evidence on investment-cash flow sensitivity in Japan", Corporate governance: implications for financial services firms, proceedings of the 39th Annual Conference on Bank Structure and Competition, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago, May 2003. Also published as BIS Working Papers no 151.
- "Common factors in euro-denominated emerging market bond spreads" (with Martijn Schrijvers), in J Batten and C Kearney (eds), International finance review, volume 6: emerging European financial markets, independence and integration post-enlargement, 2006.