Ilhyock Shim is principal economist at the BIS Representative Office for Asia and the Pacific in Hong Kong SAR. His primary responsibility is to conduct research on financial regulation, financial markets and financial stability. Before he was assigned to the Representative Office in 2007, he worked for the BIS in Basel for three years as economist at the Financial Institutions and Infrastructure Unit of the Monetary and Economic Department. He began his career as deputy director in the Korean government in 1996. Between 1997 and 1999, he worked at the Ministry of Finance and Economy as deputy director in charge of deposit insurance and financial sector restructuring. From December 2009 to November 2010, he worked for the G20 Affairs Office of the Bank of Korea as adviser. He holds a bachelor's and a master's degree in Economics from Seoul National University, and a PhD in economics from Stanford University.
Fields of interest
- Financial markets
- Financial institutions and microprudential issues
- Financial stability and macroprudential issues
|Date||BIS research papers|
BIS Working Papers No 629
Other authors: Jakree Koosakul
BIS Papers No 91
BIS Papers No 91
Other authors: Moritz Schularick
BIS Working Papers No 608
BIS Working Papers No 607
BIS Papers No 86
BIS Working Papers No 538
BIS Papers No 82
BIS Quarterly Review September 2015
Other authors: Eli M Remolona
BIS Working Papers No 509
- " Redemption risk and cash hoarding by asset managers" (with S Morris and H S Shin), Journal of Monetary Economics, vol 89, August 2017. Also published as BIS Working Papers, no 608.
- " Comparative assessment of macroprudential policies" (with V Bruno and H S Shin), Journal of Financial Stability, vol 28, 2017, pp 183-202. Also published as BIS Working Papers, no 502.
- " Can non-interest rate policies stabilize housing markets? Evidence from a panel of 57 economies" (with K Kuttner), Journal of Financial Stability, vol 26, October 2016, pp 31-44. Also published as BIS Working Papers, no 433.
- " Correlations across Asia-Pacific bond markets and the impact of capital flow management measures" (with P Chantapacdepong), Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, vol 34, September 2015, pp 71-101. Also published as BIS Working Papers, no 472.
- " Dislocations in the won-dollar swap markets during the crisis of 2007-2009" (with N Baba), International Journal of Finance and Economics, vol 19, issue 4, October 2014, pp 279-302. Also available as BIS Working Papers, no 344.
- "Commercial banking in Asia", Routledge handbook of banking and finance in Asia, forthcoming.
- " The impact of CDS trading on the bond market: Evidence from Asia" (with H Zhu), Journal of Banking and Finance, vol 40, March 2014, pp 460-75. Also published as BIS Working Papers, no 332.
- " La politique macroprudentielle : un ouvrage en cours pour les banques centrales" (with J Caruana), Revue d'Économie Financière, no 121, 2016.
- " Volatility contagion across the equity markets of developed and emerging market economies" (with M Hattori and Y Sugihara), Asian Development Bank Institute Working Papers, no 590, July 2016.
- "Dislocations in the won-dollar swap markets during the crisis of 2007-09" (with N Baba), in K Chung, H Park, C Choi, S Kim and H S Shin (eds), Volatility in Korean capital markets: current policies and future responses, Palgrave Macmillan, 2014, Chapter 6.
- "Deviation from covered interest parity in Asian foreign-exchange swap markets during the financial crisis of 2007-2009" (with I Lee and S Lee), in Asian Development Bank and Korea Capital Market Institute (eds), Asian capital market development and integration - challenges and opportunities, Oxford University Press, January 2014.
- " Can non-interest rate policies stabilize housing markets? Evidence from a panel of 57 economies" (with K Kuttner), NBER Working Papers, no 19723, December 2013.
- " Taming the real estate beast: the effects of monetary and macroprudential polices on housing prices and credit" (with K Kuttner), in proceedings of the RBA-BIS Conference on Property Markets and Financial Stability, Reserve Bank of Australia, December 2012.
- " Dynamic prudential regulation: is prompt corrective action optimal?", Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, vol 43, no 8, December 2011. Also available as BIS Working Papers, no 206, May 2006.
- " A model of the IMF as a coinsurance arrangement" (with R Chami and S Sharma), Economics e-journal, no 2008-14, May 2008.
- " Forbearance and prompt corrective action" (with N Kocherlakota), Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, vol 39, no 5, August 2007. Also available as BIS Working Papers, no 177, May 2005.
- " Distress selling and asset market feedback" (with G von Peter), Financial Markets, Institutions and Instruments, vol 16, no 5, December 2007. Also published as BIS Working Papers, no 229.
- "What can (macro-)prudential policy do to support monetary policy?" (with C Borio), in proceedings of an International Symposium on Inflation Targeting in Emerging Market Countries organised by the Bank of Thailand in Bangkok, 13-14 November 2006. Also available as BIS Working Papers, no 242, December 2007.
- Comments on "Procyclicality of buffer capital and its implications for Basel II: a cross country analysis" by H Kim and H Lee, in H Kim and H S Shin (eds), Adopting the new Basel Accord: impact and policy responses of Asian-Pacific developing countries, Korea Development Institute, Seoul, December 2006.
- " A model of the IMF as a coinsurance arrangement" (with R Chami and S Sharma), IMF Working Papers, no WP/04/219, 2004.