BIS Representative Office for the Americas
Updated 24 February 2016
About the BIS Americas Office
The BIS established its Representative Office for the Americas in Mexico City in November 2002, to further develop BIS activities in the Americas in close coordination with the head office in Basel. The Americas Office's primary activities include the following:
- Strengthen the relations of the BIS with, and promote cooperation among, central banks and other relevant institutions in the region.
- Develop research on regional financial market, monetary policy or financial stability issues.
- Facilitate the organisation of meetings and networks for central banks for the analysis of key topics in the region.
These activities are implemented by the Economics for Latin America and the Caribbean (ELAC) group, based in Mexico City and Basel.
Consultative Council for the Americas
The Consultative Council for the Americas (CCA) - established in May 2008 as an advisory committee to the BIS Board of Directors - comprises the Governors of BIS member central banks in the Americas: Argentina, Brazil, Canada, Chile, Colombia, Mexico, Peru and the United States.
Under the auspices of the CCA, the BIS Representative Office for the Americas provides secretariat support for three groups that engage in collaborative activities:
- the Scientific Committee organises research conferences and networks in the area of macroeconomics and monetary policy
- the Consultative Group of Directors of Financial Stability (CGDFS) promotes collaboration on issues and research related to financial stability
- the Consultative Group of Directors of Operations (CGDO) fosters the exchange of views and analysis on financial market developments and central bank operations
Each group is steered by senior officials of the CCA central banks, supported by BIS staff.
The current CCA Chair is Stephen S Poloz, Governor of the Bank of Canada.
Publications and research
In addition, both the consultative groups of the directors of financial stability and operations - CGDFS and CGDO, respectively - have established study or research working groups to analyse topics of common interest for the CCA central banks.
More information on these activities can be found on the Americas Office research page.
Selected BIS publications are available in Spanish. This includes regular publications such as the BIS Annual Report and Quarterly Review, as well as press releases, speeches and publications. Alternatively, select "Spanish content" while performing an advanced search on the BIS website, or subscribe to our e-mail alert for content translated into Spanish.
The Americas Office hosts a secondment programme for central bank economists in order to foster closer working relationships with shareholding central banks. The programme is part of the general secondment programme of the BIS, in which candidates from member central banks can apply to work at the head office in Basel, as well as at the BIS's representative offices in Hong Kong SAR and in Mexico. Eligible candidates should be experts working in an area of interest to the BIS and contribute to the activities of the Office. More information ...